- We will provide a written prescription on request provided we have recently examined your pet and the particular medication or product is appropriate. The time frame of ‘recent examination’ is at the doctor’s discretion but will never exceed a maximum of one year from your pets’ last annual examination. The written prescription will be provided directly to you. There is no fee for a written prescription, however you must pick the prescription up here at the office.
- If you choose internet or catalogue sources, we advise you to copy your script and mail them the original. We recommend this process for the same reason we will only provide written prescriptions to you on our script pads and why we do not respond to fax requests or telephone calls from internet or catalogue companies – We require our physical prescription form to be used so it can be traced back and authenticated in the event medication error, failure or reaction occurs.
- Please double check to ensure your prescription is sent, filled, labeled, shipped and used correctly. Carefully select your choice of pharmacy including thoroughly research for Board of Pharmacy disciplinary actions.
- Some guarantees made by manufacturers regarding their products are null and void (not honored) if their products are purchased through non-approved channels. This includes the guarantee reimbursement for heartworm / intestinal parasite claims if your pet contracts heartworms or specific parasites while on prevention.
- Some internet based pharmacies and catalogue companies have been repeatedly reprimanded by the FDA and State Boards of Pharmacy for violating prescribing procedure. Several well-known companies have been cited and fined repeatedly for the same violations in the same states or several states!
- Pharmaceuticals manufactured and labeled for use in other countries (Australia, New Zealand) have been illegally diverted and sold through some internet sources and catalogues in the United States. In addition, counterfeit medications, preventatives and product have been produced and sold to unsuspecting consumers. The FDA-CVM has documented these problems with the use of some internet sources; www.fda.gov
We’re aware there are many internet sites and catalog houses which sell pharmaceutical products directly to consumers. Contrary to slick print and television advertising marketing touting pet medications available at less than half the price from the veterinarian, this veterinary office generally offers full-sized packaged medications of heartworm and flea and tick prevention for similar prices – in fact, we might be even lower when company “bonus doses” or manufacturer rebates are taken into account.
Back to Services